Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Winter Concert

Today was RG’s concert. I planned on starting work early but I was delayed when I checked my emails this morning. I wasn’t able to start until 9:30 a.m. I already did 30 minutes before I woke up the kids, though. Now I was stressed out, as we had to leave at 5:30 p.m. for the concert.

R came home early.
RC: Mommy, Daddy’s not coming to Kuya RG’s concert.
Mom: Why?
RC: His back hurts.

So now, I have 2 extra tickets worth $5.00 each. I didn’t know that RG didn’t need tickets. I bought one for him, too.

It was only the four of us that went, the 3 kids and I. Niece A wanted to go but this morning she told me that she didn’t think that she could come. I didn’t either. I was glad that she realized it herself. Her siblings needed her at home.

It was very cold tonight. I had to remind RG to wear his black socks before we left. Their attire: black shirt, black dress pants, black socks and black shoes. They had to be at the Concert Hall at 6:10 p.m. Concert was to start at 7:00 p.m. I brought my magazines and the kid’s books and Gameboys so we won’t get bored.

When we were waiting at the lobby, I asked this family if they had enough tickets. They did. I explained that I have 2 extra ones. The dad joked that I could stand by the door and sell them. “Isn’t that illegal?” I asked. I guess it wouldn’t be. I was thinking of scalping tickets. That’s when you sell them for a higher price. But I was going to sell them for the same price. Later on the mom found me a buyer. Another lady bought my two extra tickets. Sigh of relief.

I saw Omar’s parents. His mom was looking for Mama. I told her that she goes to bed at 8:00 p.m. She likes to get up early. Mama and I met Omar’s parents during the Jazz competition earlier this year. She saw RG’s two brothers and asked, “How it is like to have three boys?” “Well,” I began, “they’re pretty good boys. Although, sometimes they can get rough and restless especially in the winter months. They spend most of the time inside and they get bored.”

We weren’t allowed to enter the concert hall until about 6:45 p.m. We seated ourselves in Section 4. We had a good view of the stage and I thought they were better seats than the ones in the balcony. The closer seats were better since I was videotaping and taking pictures. RG had solos on both the flute and the soprano sax. He went to see us during the intermission and asked me to tape the Senior Jazz Band, which featured the music of Duke Ellington and in which Sam had a solo. There was this Senior 4 student, Catlin, who had solos on the baritone saxophone here and there. He was quite good. I thought the best part was “Mustang Sally,” played on instrument and vocals.

I didn’t realize that the concert would last two hours. I didn’t anticipate that the two kids would be out past their bedtime. RK got bored and kept asking, “Is it almost time to go home?” The concert ended at around 9:30 p.m. We stayed at the lobby while waiting for our bus to arrive at 10:23 p.m. RK complained that his legs hurt. He fell asleep on the bus. When we were almost on our street, I woke him up. He was about to cry. I told him not to. We came home at around 11:00 p.m. R was already asleep. Once the boys were inside, RC and RK started bickering and RK cried. I was too tired to deal with them and made them go to bed right away.

No comments: