Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Being a good neighbour

I was working on Saturday at around 3:00 p.m. when I heard a child crying outside. My three boys were all inside the house, so I knew that child wasn’t one of mine. I looked out from the window of my workstation upstairs. I saw a little boy, about 6 or 7 years of age, lying on the grass. Beside him was a woman with short ash blonde hair. I supposed she is his mother. She was stroking his back. Two bikes lay on the sidewalk. I figured that the poor boy must have fallen from his bike. Usually there are people outside at this time of day, but not this day since it was a sweltering 30C degrees. I watched the woman look around. I thought she wanted some help. I yelled, “Lady, are you okay.” She looked up and said, “Yeah, he just scraped his elbow.” That’s good, I thought. I saw her poured some water from her bottle on the boy’s elbow. She then took something from a Ziploc bag. It looked like bandages. She was prepared. So I figured they were all right and I went back to my work. Yet I was constantly peeking to see what was happening down there. After about five minutes or so, they were both up on their feet and they rode their bikes.

Although I didn’t go out there to physically help, I felt good. I was reminded of the parable of the Good Samaritan.

"A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of
robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now
by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by
on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him,
passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and
when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds,
having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought
him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave
them to the innkeeper, and said: "Take care of him; and when I come back, I will
repay you whatever more you spend." Which of these three, do you think, was a
neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers? He said: "The one
who showed him mercy." Jesus said to him: "Go and do likewise." (Luke
10:30-37
)"

Do you know who I think is a Good Samaritan? Each and every one of our brothers and sisters who have been supporting and helping our neighbours down in New Orleans. Everyday I watch on TV the devastating aftermath of hurricane Katrina. It is so heartbreaking to see people losing their homes and loved ones. And yet it is so heartwarming to see people helping not only by donating money and supplies but by actually going down there to give these people a hug and a helping hand. The GOODNESS is so contagious. I want to spread it around as well in any little way I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If everyone can do a little small part for someone's else, the world will be a better place. I like that parable too.

You truly live up to your "niceheart" name!