Saturday, March 12, 2005

Aiming High

October Sky” was based on a true story about the Rocket Boys. We all liked the movie. The kids liked it because of the crude rocket experiments. After the movie, RC whispered to me, “Is there a moral to the story?” “Of course there is,” I replied. “What, Mommy?” he asked. “What do you think?” I asked him back. “Oh, I don’t know,” he replied. I think there was more than one moral lesson. But the one that I could think of that his young mind would understand was: “If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again.”

I think the movie appeals to everybody because it is about 4 high school friends (ala “Stand By Me”) trying to fulfill their dreams. And didn’t we all have a “Miss Riley” in school who believed in us and encouraged us to follow our dreams. Also there was the clash between father and son. Homer’s father wanted him to follow his footsteps, working in the coal mines, but Homer wanted to leave his small town and shoot for the stars. Homer said several times that he would NEVER work in the coal mines, yet when his father had an accident, he stepped right in to help out the family.

These are some of the scenes from the movie which I found very touching:

1) When Homer asked his dad, “Why do you always have time to watch my brother’s football games, but never found time to watch me launch my rockets?”
2) When the whole town helped Homer rebuild his science experiment rocket nozzle when it was stolen.
3) When Homer told his Dad that Dr. Von (something) was not his hero, but rather it was his Dad.
4) When Homer’s Dad showed up the last time that he launched his rocket in No Man’s Land.

I think Jake Gyllenhaal, who played Homer, is a good actor. I also liked him in “The Good Girl” with Jennifer Aniston.

No comments: