Sunday, April 03, 2005

The flatter the land, the harder the rock

I watched the Junos only because it was held here. I like the host, Brent Butt, comedian and star of Corner Gas , and who appeared first in a KISS-like outfit and played a double-necked guitar. He later changed to a tuxedo. And isn’t that cool to see the red carpet on Portage Avenue. I don’t usually watch the Junos. I am not familiar with Canadian artists except for a few such as Celine Dion, Diana Krall, Avril Lavigne, K.D. Lang, Alannis Morissette and Shania Twain. Two years ago, I only watched Shania’s opening number.

I enjoyed the performance of the barefoot K.D. Lang of “Hallelujah,” accompanied by the Symphony Orchestra. I was surprised that she wore a dress/skirt. She got a big applause from the audience and she said, “Thank you, thank you. Much too kind here in Winnipeg.” She then followed it with “Helpless,” which she dedicated to the absent Neil Young, who’s still in the hospital recovering from surgery.

It was also cool to see Kalen Porter, the current Canadian Idol, play the violin. Or is it the viola? The show ended with a tribute to Winnipeg with Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings (both from this city) performing “Taking Care of Business.”

No comments: