Saturday, April 16, 2005

Let's play ball



I have always talked about how RC is into basketball. He watches it on TV. He plays it outside in the backyard. He plays it inside the house. About a couple of months ago, he said, “I want to be a basketball player when I grow up.” Fearing that he was serious, I told him, “But basketball is just a hobby, RC.” He replied, “I could earn lots of money if I get drafted.” To which RG said, “But you have to be good. You’re not good.” I felt guilty after that conversation. I know that as a parent, I have to support whatever my child’s dreams are. Just as I am supporting RG with his music, which wouldn’t be my first choice if it was up to me.

I wanted RC to have an outlet for his passion. So when Spring Season opened, I signed him up for the Basketball League. “Me too, Mommy,” said RK. Yeah, I signed up RK as well. They started practice this week. I didn’t really know much about basketball but I have learned a lot this week while watching RC and RK practise. I learned about dribbling, passing, lay-ups and defense. I learned about the different positions – point guard, right and left wings, right and left posts. The dad who was sitting beside R and me on the bench during RC’s practice said, “Is that your son? He has smooth moves. He’s good.” I beamed.

Today was the first game of the season. RC’s and RK’s games were both at the same time at different schools. I wasn’t there at RC’s first game, but I asked RG to video-tape it. R went with them. I was at RK’s first game. It was very entertaining to watch 7- and 8-year olds play basketball. Most of them were inexperienced and they made a lot of mistakes such as shooting the ball in the wrong basket. But hey, that’s okay. It wasn’t really much as a competition but more of just having fun.

No comments: