Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Cold snap

We’ve had a windchill warning for the last couple of days. With minus 40 to minus 45 windchill, frostbite on exposed skin can occur in less than 10 minutes. RC and RK gave me a hard time when I made them bundle up in the morning. RC and RK didn’t like wearing scarves. RC didn’t want to wear his outside his winter coat and he didn’t want to wear snow pants. I made them wear the scarves anyway.

I didn’t know these: Mittens are better than gloves. When you wear mittens, your fingers get warmer when they are next to each other. (I've never worn mittens, only gloves. I thought that feeling my cold fingers next to each other made me cold.) Also, it’s better to wear layers of loose clothing. Tight clothes reduce blood flow. (I don't wear tight clothes anyway.)

There are big piles of snow everywhere. We had a total of 42 cm (16 inches) of snow in December. The coldest day last month was December 23.

No comments: