Thursday, January 13, 2005

Long term goals

I had a meeting with my supervisor for my yearly review. “Did you pick this day so that we could experience this cold weather?” I asked him jokingly. My performance last year was alright. And I got a “distinguished” on attendance. Zero absences. That’s three years in a row that I got a perfect attendance – something that I haven’t been able to accomplish while I was working in the office. He asked me what were my short term and long term goals. My short term goal was to improve the quality of my work, to have lesser errors. For my long term goal, what do I want to achieve in the next three years? I told him straightforward that I still enjoy working at home even though I know that there’s no chance of promotion for me as long as I stay at home. He has implied earlier that I am already a candidate for training for a senior position should I wish to come back to the office. It’s up to me. But it was a no-brainer for me. I would rather work at home than be a senior adjuster. Some people might have a hard time understanding this. I’ve experienced dragging my three kids out of bed as early as 6:00 am when I had to go to the office. Dealing with temper tantrums and rushing to make it on time to work can be very stressful. There were times when I’d yell and then felt sorry the entire day, hoping that they would still love me when I came back home at night. Of course they always did. Working at home, I have become more patient and I am more relaxed. We are all able to take our time.

After my meeting, I came by my friend E’s desk. We had a little chat. I learned that some of our friends are now senior adjusters, some of whom have been with the company for a shorter time that I have. Oh well.

No comments: