Saturday, January 22, 2005

Luxury or necessity? I say it's an option

My taxi driver today was very friendly...

Driver: Do you have work today?
Me: No, Saturday is shopping day, grocery shopping.
Driver: You’ll take the taxi, too, when you go home?
Me: Yeah, I have to. I don’t have a car.
Driver: Me, too. Cars are expensive. Taxi is better.
Me: I agree. I have gone through three babies without a car. I take my kids on the bus and they’re fine with it.

I think it was about a year and a half ago when RC used to ask me, “Why don’t we buy a car?” There was one particular afternoon when the kids and I had to wait for our bus for a long time after a weekend shopping. Well, you see, buses here don’t come that often on weekends.

RC: It’s too bad we don’t have a car.
Mom: You know what, if we have a car, we won’t be able to buy a whole lot of other things. I probably won’t be able to buy you PS games, toys, computer, nice clothes…
RC: Even a house, Mommy?
Mom: Yeah, we’ll probably live in a small apartment.
Ryan: Oh! A house is better than a car.

We had another blizzard the other day. Piles of snow have become higher. Some even as high as houses.

No comments: