Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Of childbirth

The cast of Finding Neverland was on Oprah today. Kate Winslet said that she felt guilty when she had her first child by Caesarian Section. She was not a petite woman and she thought that she had good child-bearing hips. After 37 hours of labor, she had to have her baby by C-Section.

I had similar feelings. I felt that I had an incomplete experience in childbirth since I didn’t get to push my babies out. I was in labor for over 20 hours with both my 2 oldest sons but I wasn’t dilating progressively. I had C-Sections with both of them. When I got pregnant with my 3rd baby, my gynecologist suggested that I should elect surgery. I even questioned her suggestion. She threw a question back at me, "With your history, are you really willing to go through long hours of labor and then have surgery at the end anyway?" So I elected to have C-Section with my 3rd baby.

No comments: