Saturday, November 20, 2004

On birthdays

Happy birthday, RG. 15 years old na!

I cooked spaghetti, made macaroni salad and bought 2 whole barbecued chickens. I also ordered 3 large pizzas. Sis, F, and the kids came over at around 3:30 p.m. C dropped her kids off at around 4 p.m. Ate A dropped off her boys at around 5 p.m. The sisters were trying to avoid each other. (???) They were not in speaking terms. K said that it has been 4 months since she last saw her cousins. They were happy to see each other again.

I had this conversation, similar to the one I had with C earlier, when Ate A picked up the boys:
Ate A: Ilang taon na si RG?
Me: 15 na.
Ate A: Biruin mo ang laki na ano?
M: Oo nga eh. Matatanda na rin tayo.
Actually I only notice that I’m getting older as I watch my children grow. Aside of course from the certain aches and pains here and there. I still feel young at heart.

Ate A also asked me, “Lagi mo silang ipinaghahanda kapag birthday nila ano?” “Syempre, so that they feel special,” I replied. “Bakit sila ba hindi mo laging ipinaghahanda?” I asked her back. No, she said.

As long as I could remember, Mama has always cooked pancit on our birthdays. Even when sis and I went to live with ‘Auntie C,’ there was always at least pancit on our birthdays. I’ve continued to do that until now. I cook either spaghetti or pancit (for long life) on our birthdays.

R’s friend N came over when everybody was gone. Nag-inuman sila and of course the stereo was blasting again. They didn’t hear the neighbour ringing the doorbell. I came downstairs and told them. N parked his car on the neighbour’s driveway. The neighbour asked them to move his car.

No comments: