Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The bliss of working at home

RG went to flute lesson today to make up for Saturday. I told him to bundle up since windchill was minus 36 C. It was very cold. In my workstation, I wore a sweater and wool socks. I covered myself with a blanket. On days like these, I really appreciate working at home. I don’t have to go out there in the bitter cold. And since the kids were on vacation, I let them do the chores. I don’t have to do the dishes. Today I asked RG to give RK a bath since I was working overtime. This is the bliss of working at home. I am working overtime in the comforts of my home surrounded by my children. This reminded me of when I was a little girl and I would hung around in our tailor shop - Papa on the cutting table and Mama on the sewing machine.

At night, R was calling RC. RC came down and went upstairs again. I heard R calling him repeatedly.
RC: Mommy, Daddy wants me to pull his white hair. I don’t want to do it.
Mom: Why?
RC: I’m playing with my Gameboy and I can’t pause it.
Mom: Then tell him that. (I thought that he just didn’t want to do it)
RC: But I already told him (He started to cry)

My father used to make me pull out his white hair, too. And I loved it because I was fond of my father. But I don’t understand why R has to make his kids do something they didn’t want. If it’s a household chore, fine. Kids shouldn’t complain. But if it’s for personal grooming… Come on. Give them a break if they don’t want to do it.

No comments: