Thursday, December 09, 2004

That's too bad

I came home and worked some more. The kids and I had to leave at 6:15 p.m. I made them eat supper at 5:30 p.m. They were all coming to watch the concert. R didn’t want to come. What else is new? When I was getting dressed, I heard RC and RK fighting. RK started to cry. I was already stressed as it was and I couldn’t take it. If we were not leaving, I would have let it go. But it was RK’s concert and I didn’t want him to have puffy eyes while performing. So I lost it. I shouted and made both of them come up. I tried to make RK stop crying. He said that RC was singing a song about him. So I reprimanded RC. Amica and Gaudie were also performing this night. A came with us, too. I videotaped the concert. RK looked so tired. It was a good concert, though.

When we were walking home…
RK: Gage wasn’t there.
Mom: Why?
RK: His mom is working.
Mom: What about his dad?
RK: I think he doesn’t have a dad.
Mom: Oh, that’s too bad

Kids here in North America are exposed to different family arrangements, unlike when I was growing up in the Philippines. I couldn’t talk about my parents’ separation with my classmates because it was sort of taboo and it was hard to explain to people about our situation. But here, kids are able to talk freely about these issues with their friends.

No comments: